We invest in research in the UK and across the world, linking researchers and research projects so that we can accelerate progress and help to improve lives as quickly as possible.
We have five key aims for the next three years, which are at the heart of our research strategy:
- to deepen our understanding of neuromuscular conditions
- to support more studies into ultra-rare conditions
- to expand patient access to clinical trials
- to encourage new researchers to join the field, and
- to support allied healthcare professionals
To help us achieve our aims, we focus on four priority areas:
- Harnessing the power of genetics
- Understanding disease mechanisms
- Facilitating drug development
- Improving quality of life
The theme of innovation and partnership underpins all that we do so that research is given every chance to succeed.
We encourage and support scientists and clinicians with new ideas and technologies to come to this area of research. We build on existing scientific studies to develop a new generation of therapies with the long-term goal of treating anyone, whatever their neuromuscular condition. We seek to provide early career researchers with the support they need to become the next generation to lead research in this exciting field.
Over the next three years, we will continue to invest in high-quality research to build our understanding of the underlying causes of disease, develop potential treatments and improve the quality of life of people living with neuromuscular conditions.
Find out more about our Research strategy (PDF)
If you would like to receive a hard copy of the strategy, please contact our research team.